PokerStars India, operated by Sachiko Gaming Pvt. Ltd. ambassador Aditya Argawalhas selected the Top 10 poker brains from across India to compete in his team Kolkota Creators, as part of Global Poker League (GPL) India, the country’s first long-run poker league. Aditya’s qualifiers began on June 25 with the players participating in the freerolls that was run daily on Pokerstars.IN until July 1. The other weekly qualifiers will be run for the next five weeks until August 5, to find team members for the other regions – namely Pune (Ongoing till July 8), Chennai Sharks (July 9 – 15), Delhi Diehards (July 16 – 22), Mumbai Jetsetters (July 23 – 29) and Bengaluru Hackers (July 30 – August 5). After the online qualification period, the top 10 finishers in each Team Final will then go on to participate in the GPL India Bootcamp, to be held on September 8, 2018 in Delhi.
Commenting on the league, Aditya Agarwal, PokerStars Pro said, “It is exhilarating to know that a poker league like GPL is running in India. It is not only to promote this game of skill but also to give poker enthusiasts and aficionados a chance to play and have a chance to win a coveted Platinum Pass to the Bahamas in January! I’d recommend everyone to check out GPL India’s qualifier’s schedule today and pre-register for the qualifier’s run for their home team. This is one of only a few ways that players from India can win the chance to compete on the world stage at the PSPC in Bahamas, January 2019.”
Seven ‘Round 1’ MTT (multi-table tournament) satellites will run on Pokerstars.IN from June 25 i.e. one each day from Monday – Sunday for four more weeks. The top ten finishers in each will qualify for the week’s Team Final. After the online qualification period, the top 10 finishers in each Team Final – 60 hopefuls in total – will then go on to participate in the GPL India Bootcamp, to be held on September 8, 2018 in Delhi. Fellow PokerStars team pro ambassador Muskan Sethi also in Las Vegas will run her qualifiers on PokerStars.In July 16 – 22.
GPL India Online Qualifiers Schedule
– June 25, 2018 – July 1, 2018 – Kolkata Creators Week – Online Qualifiers each day with Final Qualifier on July 1, 2018 : Team Manager – Aditya Agarwal
– July 2, 2018 – July 8, 2018 – Pune Alphas Week – Online Qualifiers each day with Final Qualifier on July 8, 2018 : Team Manager – Abhishek Rathod
– July 9, 2018 – July 15, 2018 – Chennai Sharks Week – Online Qualifiers each day with Final Qualifier on July 15, 2018 : Team Manager – Vikram Kumar
– July 16, 2018 – July 22, 2018 – Delhi Diehards Week – Online Qualifiers each day with Final Qualifier on July 22, 2018 : Team Manager – Muskan Sethi
– July 23, 2018 – July 29, 2018 – Mumbai Jetsetters Week – Online Qualifiers each day with Final Qualifier on July 29, 2018 : Team Manager – Kavin Shah
– July 30, 2018 – August 5, 2018 – Bengaluru Hackers Week – Online Qualifiers each day with Final Qualifier on August 5, 2018 : Team Manager – Vidwath Shetty
All six team rosters will be confirmed before 9 September. From there teams will compete for the Season One Championship and the chance to win the hottest poker tickets in town, five Platinum Passes – worth a total of Rs. 20 lac Platinum – Rs. 1 crore to play in the PSPC, in the Bahamas in January 2019.
The 60 GPL India Bootcamp hopefuls will undergo quickfire interviews to explain why they should join their respective teams as finalists. The judging panel for this interview will be a mixture of PokerStars India pro’s, GPL India managers and local celebrities. The finalists will then be randomly assigned to play in a Sit-and-Go with each table representing a regional GPL team. Each player’s starting stack will depend on how they scored in the panel interview, with the lowest starting stack being 1k and the largest 5k.
The PokerStars.IN online poker room and website is operated by Sachiko Gaming Pvt Ltd, an online skill game provider which is a part of Sugal&Damani Group. Sugal&Damani Group is a leading business house primarily dealing with lottery and gaming businesses and is the largest state government lottery operator in India. It is also one of the major players operating another game of skill, rummy, under the brand name khelplayrummy.com. Apart from lotteries and gaming, Sugal&Damani Group also has interests in information technology, e-commerce, payment services and real estate.